Welcome to the Internet's newest forum for discussing all things philatelic!

Canadian Advertising Covers

TheCoverCollector
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor
Answers: 1

Canadian Advertising Covers

Post by TheCoverCollector »

Here are three illustrated advertising covers out of Canada, a recent acquisition. Two are real photos of trucks while the third is commercial art work. To me, the first cover from Holz & Sons posted in Hamilton, Ontario, is of special interest for its slogan cancel "Envelopes Smaller Than 4" X 2" Are Unacceptable for Mailing." It seems to me that this is rather early (1958) for a mailing size restriction. It sounds like a more contemporary restriction imposed because of mail handing automation.

I'm not enough of a auto/truck aficionado to identity the makes and models of the real photo images of the trucks, but I do like the commercial art on the 1937 cover. It has an Art Deco look about it.

TCC
b397.jpg
b398.jpg
b399.jpg

TheCoverCollector
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor

A couple more advertising covers from Canada, both ads for car batteries. Of added Interest to me is the cancel date (1927) on the Globelite for the slogan cancel, Help Prevent Forest Fires. I'm not a slogan cancel collector, but 1927 seems early for this cancel topic. It's my impression that prevent forest fire cancels in the U.S. date from the early 1940s. Does anyone know when the Prevent Forest Fire cancels first appeared on covers, U.S. or Canada?

TCC
b474.jpg
b475.jpg

TheCoverCollector
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor

The Canada Bread Company was formed by the purchase of five other Canadian bakeries in 1911. It remains in business today, but, according to Wikipedia, it is now owned by Grupo Bimbo, a Mexican company.

TCC
b485.jpg