Welcome to the Internet's newest forum for discussing all things philatelic!

Advertising covers

TheCoverCollector
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor
Answers: 1

Post by TheCoverCollector »

The Walter Fields Company was a bargain/discount men's and women's mail order clothing store in Chicago. It issued periodic catalogs and bargain lists and competed with Sears & Roebuck and Spiegels. It began in the early 20th century, started by brothers Herbert and Walter Oberfelder. It does not appear to still be in business. This cover, undelivered because the addressee moved, probably carried a list of bargain offerings.

TCC
b752.jpg
b753.jpg

TheCoverCollector
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor

A couple of recent acquisitions.

I have not found much information about either company. Laher Spring & Tire seems to have been a national manufacturer and retailer of auto parts. The Sacramento store may have been a local franchise. I have seen other Laher covers with the same reverse, but advertising a different brand of tires and from a different location.

Nothing about the history of Sitroux Inc., other than it was active in the 1940s. This cover probably dates from the mid-to late-1940s.

TCC
b763.jpg
b764.jpg
b765.jpg

TheCoverCollector
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor

An illustrated commercial cover from the Seattle Fish Market of Denver, Colorado. This retail fish outlet began in 1918 when Italian immigrant Mose Iacino started shipping fresh fish packed in ice by rail from Seattle to Denver. His efforts were successful and the company continues today. This piece of postal stationery, Sc. UC3, is addressed to Robert A. Siegel, a prominent stamp dealer/auctioneer of the 1930s-1950s. Someone in the company must have been a collector.
b793.jpg
The Brock Candy Company was a family owned company of long standing in Chattanooga, Tennessee. It dates to 1906 when William E. Brock purchased the Trigg Candy Co and built it into one of the largest candy manufacturers in the U.S. This illustrated cover depicts two of its products, Magnolia Marshmallows and a Top-Flight candy bar. Brock's is, perhaps, best know for the syrupy sweet Chocolate Covered Cherries which it introduced in 1930. The company also introduced gummie bears and worms in the 1980s.

Brock became publicly owned in 1993 and was purchased by the E. J. Brach corporation in 1994 thus ending Brock's as a family business.
b794.jpg
TCC

TheCoverCollector
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor

Two covers with cattle in the cachet.

The first advertises Borden's Condensed Milk overprinted on a cover from the St. Charles Condensing Company if St. Charles, Illinois. The St. Charles Company made and sold evaporated milk (milk from which water was evaporated). Adding sugar to evaporated milk turns it into condensed milk. The Borden Condensed Milk Company purchased the St. Charles Company in 1912. This cover has a flag cancel with a Type B cancel dial and Type 14 stars and stripes with no die space in the stripes.
b811.jpg
The second cover is not strictly an advertising cover, but rather one with an illustrated cachet, philatelic in origin, and commemorating the centennial of Aledo, Illinois. Aledo is in west central Illinois, and the county seat of Mercer County. The cover immodestly proclaims that Aledo is the livestock capital of the world :o and is the center of Aberdeen Angus production in America. I collected the cover for its cachet depicting an Aberdeen Angus.
b812.jpg
TCC

TheCoverCollector
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor

I collected this roughly opened cover for its attractive Star Soap cachet and the nicely struck Pittsburgh, PA, Barry oval machine cancel with diagonal killer lines and '8' missing in the date and #1 in the die space. Little information found regarding Star Soap, other than it was a popular product of the second half of the 19th century.

TCC
b813.jpg

TheCoverCollector
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor

A cover purchased for my Iowa Covers collection. In 1940, the date this cover was posted, Peter Pan Bread was the product of Peter F. Petersen Bakeries headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska. It was a popular brand in the upper midwest with several regional bakeries, Cedar Rapids being one. Petersen died in 1945 and the company was kept in the family for a few years, but Peter Pan Bread was sold and ended up being a brand of the Metz Bakeries in Sioux City, Iowa. This cover also fits in my "Food on Covers" sub-collection and it came with a bonus on the reverse, an illustration of the bakery in Cedar Rapids and an advance label for the All-Iowa Fair of 1940. I have a another All-Iowa Fair advance label for 1938 in my Iowa Cinderellas collection. It appears that the fair used the same design for subsequent years changing only the dates of the fair.

TCC
b829.jpg
b830.jpg