Advertising covers

TheCoverCollector
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor
Answers: 1

Advertising covers

Post by TheCoverCollector »

Among my cover collections are advertising covers. That is, covers with graphic or printed advertising in the upper left corners or overall on the front and back. This one is from Swift & Company. Swift was a meat packer and this cover advertises its lard, a by-product of pork production. The ad on this cover is not as colorful as some, but it is both front and back.

The cover has an additional collecting point for me in its cancel. It was canceled by the Portland, OR transfer clerks office. For those who might not know, a transfer clerk was a Railway Mail Service employee who had an office at track level of major railroad stations. Aside from canceling mail posted at track level drop boxes, it was the transfer clerk's job to assure that mail coming off a railway post office at the end of its run was correctly transferred to its labeled destination, i.e. a local post office or another railway post office.

Don, TheCoverCollector
Attachments
b116.jpg
b117.jpg

TheCoverCollector
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor

Continuing with an advertising cover out of my Iowa Covers collection. I grew up in western Iowa and collect covers and cinderellas from my home state. I had to have this cover from the Clipless Paper Fastner Co., for its interesting art and unusual vertical orientation of the ad. The vertical advertising offered a larger presentation of the ad and probably caused the recipient to look at the envelope a little more closely.

I'm not an expert on cancels, but the flag cancel on this cover looks like it is from an American Postal Machine Company canceling device with a type B dial and type 14 flag.

TCC
b134.jpg
b135.jpg

Alex
Collecting Areas: British Commonwealth (and former colonies) stamps and covers

Post by Alex »

A very bold design - it certainly stands out.

I wonder if the post office was entirely happy with it given the orange question mark intrudes on the address panel?

TheCoverCollector
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor

I wonder if the post office was entirely happy with it given the orange question mark intrudes on the address panel?
Hi Alex:

Difficult to say for sure, but, generally, the post office department was more dedicated to delivery in the early 20th century regardless of difficulties presented by the mailer, i.e. poor handwriting, incomplete addresses, insufficient postage, etc. This one probably made the sorting clerk look a little more carefully at the address. The state in the address of this letter is difficult for me to interpret

TCC

TheCoverCollector
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor

Here is a recent acquisition for my "food" advertising cover collection. Webster's is an unknown brand to me, however, since the cover dates back to the 1930s, it is probably a product no longer available. The advertising indicates only five products, tomato juice, tomatoes, assorted (mixed) vegetables, and Lima beans. The note on the lower left corner of the cover's reverse indicating that the five different labels each represent a different quality of Lima beans was amazing to me. I never would have thought that one could grade Lima beans that closely. :lol:

TCC

Alex
Collecting Areas: British Commonwealth (and former colonies) stamps and covers

Post by Alex »

Very colourful and very pretty!

TheCoverCollector
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor

Thanks, Alex. I appreciate your reply and comment. I have always been drawn to vivid colors on stamps and covers. A couple of my stamp club friends have gone so far as to refer to me as a magpie collector!

TCC

TheCoverCollector
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor

From my foods advertised on covers collection, a colorful cachet for oranges shipped from the grower's orchards. Given the 1 cent postage paid, this cover probably carried a list of products offered with prices and shipping rates.

I have covers like this from Florida and Texas growers, but not from California. Maybe just coincidence, don't know if this experience is the same with other collectors.

TCC
b157.jpg

TheCoverCollector
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor

Here are a couple of recently acquired advertising covers with postage paid permit franking. The first from a Crete, Nebraska, milling company and the second from an Indianapolis vendor of canvas products. Both have illustrations on the reverse.

TCC
b169.jpg
b170.jpg
b171.jpg
Attachments
b172.jpg

TheCoverCollector
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor

Another cover out of my food collection of illustrated commercial covers, this one from Eisenmayer Milling Company of Springfield, Missouri. Aside from the colorful cachet, it sports a neat American Postal Machine Company flag cancel with a type B dial and style 14 flag.

TCC
b175.jpg

TheCoverCollector
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor

The Village Blacksmith began making and selling only household knives, but as its products achieved a reputation for quality its products expanded to include cleavers, screw drivers, chisels, punches, and other common tools. Its covers are sought by collectors for their colorful illustrations and are expensive. Current eBay offerings range from $20 to over $100. Normally, I could not afford a cover in those price ranges, but this cover has a couple of faults that the dealer discounted dropping it into my price range. The faults include a torn stamp, perhaps done when applied, a scrape on the lower left corner of the label on the reverse, and its being a #10 envelope. Even with the faults, I consider myself fortunatel to include a Village Blacksmith cover in my advertising collection.

TCC
b221.jpg
b222.jpg

TheCoverCollector
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor

Less dramatic than the Village Blacksmith cover, is this illustrated commercial cover from McNamara Furniture Store out of my Iowa collection. I find it unusual because of its graphic encouragement to use airmail. Airmail route AM-1 ran from San Francisco to New York City with a scheduled stop in Iowa City. Air mail was still an important communication method in 1936, third only to the telegraph and telephone for speed. It is more than a little ironic, however, that McNamara did not send this letter by airmail! Although, it undoubtedly went by railway mail service just as quickly.

TCC
b224.jpg

spain_1850
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor

Post by spain_1850 »

I just want to say thank you for starting this thread. Although I don't collect advert covers, I really enjoy learning about them and seeing other avenues of collecting that people have.
Richard
APS #194419

TheCoverCollector
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor

spain_1850 wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 23:06
I just want to say thank you for starting this thread. Although I don't collect advert covers, I really enjoy learning about them and seeing other avenues of collecting that people have.
Thanks, Richard. There aren't many cover collectors on this forum, but that's okay. Others may turn up or some of the stamp collectors may undergo a conversion. :) My philatelic interests are broad and, like you, I enjoy reading about other collecting fields. I'll just keep posting covers, and maybe some stamps from time to time. I find it easier to write about covers than stamps.

TCC

spain_1850
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor

Post by spain_1850 »

While I don't collect covers specifically, I do find myself accumulating them as part of collections, so I do try to incorporate them into my own general collection, as much as I can. I have a big tub of older US covers that I use a "catch all". I may go through it and see if I have any covers that could be considered advertising covers. Most, I assume, will just have a business name and address, with no graphics. But who knows, there might be something in there.
Richard
APS #194419

spain_1850
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor

Post by spain_1850 »

Not sure if this is considered an advertising cover, but here it is anyways
adcover2.jpg
Poole and Hunt Foundries and Machine Works supplied cast and iron parts to many industries, as well as boilers for railroad use. They also manufactured the structural elements for the dome in the US Capitol building, as well casting the columns for the Peristyle.

Addressee, Thomas Prosser, Esq., may either Sr or Jr from "Thomas Prosser and Son" , who also made steel items, including railway rails and train wheels.
Richard
APS #194419

spain_1850
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor

Post by spain_1850 »

Here is another I found. Again, it might be a stretch to call it an "advertising" cover. I remember buying it because I liked the back side. Not very colorful for sure, but I liked it.
adcover1.jpg
adcover1b.jpg
Richard
APS #194419

TheCoverCollector
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor

Hi Richard:

Very nice, both covers! I especially like the one from the Seminole Producer. Seminole, Oklahoma, is about 45 miles east of where I live. It was the site of one of Oklahoma's big oil fields and I think there are still active wells in the area. No rules for inclusion in the category "Advertising." If they don't seem to fit, call 'em "Illustrated," which they surely are. The Seminole Producer is still publishing.

I hope you will dig a little deeper in that box and post some others.

TCC

TheCoverCollector
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor

This is a recent acquisition for my "foods" advertising collection. I ate a bunch of Baby Ruths as a kid. They were still a nickle then or you could buy a giant one for a quarter. Baby Ruth dates back to 1920 and remained a staple of the Curtiss Candy Company until 1981 when it sold out to Nabisco. The candy bar is still made and sold, but now by the Ferrara Candy Company.

Some collectors scorn the #10 envelopes and the permit franking, but this one is welcome in my collection. It surely went through the mails and may have contained a premium of some kind or possibly a coupon or more recipes No date on this one, but I'd place it in mid- to late 1940s.

TCC
b255.jpg
b256.jpg