Holiday Covers

TheCoverCollector
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor
Answers: 1

Holiday Covers

Post by TheCoverCollector »

The United States' Thanksgiving Day is a week away, November 26th, and its time for a few related covers. I don't have many Thanksgiving Day covers, but here are two of those that I have accumulated. I doubt there are many people who still send a Thanksgiving Day card, but it was much more popular in the early 20th century. Most cards that I have seen are secular in theme and feature a turkey as a food item and date pre-WW II.

TCC
b317.jpg
b318.jpg
b320.jpg
b319.jpg

TheCoverCollector
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor
Answers: 1

Post by TheCoverCollector »

Another Thanksgiving greeting card posted aboard the St. Joseph & Oxford railway post office, November 21, 1921, again featuring the ubiquitous turkey.
b331.jpg
b332.jpg
Following the card is a cover prepared by the Original Order of Zunks for Thanksgiving 1940. The Zunks commemorated most every holiday on the calendar. This one, is a bit unusual for two reasons. First, is the religious motif in the cache of two Pilgrims offering thanks in the pumpkin patch for America, and, second, for its addressee, Arlene Van Dahl. She and her husband were the publishers of Western Stamp Collector, the weekly stamp paper published in Albany, Oregon for decades. G. H.Hamilton, who prepared the Zunks covers, sent this one to her, perhaps, with the hope that it might be noted in the Weekly Stamp Collector and increase sales of the cover. Than again, maybe it was just sent as a holiday greeting. :?:
b333.jpg
TCC