Welcome to the Internet's newest forum for discussing all things philatelic!

Mexican commercial cover

TheCoverCollector
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor
Answers: 1

Mexican commercial cover

Post by TheCoverCollector »

Here's an advertising cover from my Commercial Covers Collection from Tasco, Guerrero, the silver mining capital of Mexico. Some even say the town is built on a mountain of silver. I acquired this cover for its colorful illustration along the bottom half of the envelop. The three-story building at lower left must be the Hotel Melendez. As with so many Mexican covers, the postmark is smudged, but the date is readable with magnification. It was posted Oct 30, 1945. The cover is franked with a common 12 centavos stamp of 1945, Sc. 790.
b121.jpg

jimp
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor

Post by jimp »

That really is a colourful envelope.
I can see why you acquired it.
Lovely !!!

TheCoverCollector
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor

A cover from Gregorio Obrador, an importer in San Luis de la Paz, Guanajuato, Mexico. This cover is franked with a 25 centavos airmail stamp from the 1950-1952 definitive set, Sc. C189. It was posted on December 8 1951. Not much philatelic value to this cover, but I have collected it for the colorful corner card and as a companion to the Mexican commercial cover from Taxco above.

TCC
b358.jpg

TheCoverCollector
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor

A third Mexican cover out of my advertising cover collection. This one from the Hardware Company of Sonora in Magdalena, Sonora, posted September 25, 1954 and franked with a 50 centavos airmail stamp, Sc. C193. The illustrated corner card features mining and farming equipment.

There is a pricey counterpart to this 50 centavos stamp, Sc. C212 cataloging a couple of hundred dollars used, but the expensive stamp is dependent upon a different horizontal watermark. I don't know how I could check the watermark without removing the stamps and odds are this stamp is the inexpensive one. I'll just leave it as is and let the next owner decide what to do with it.

TCC
b362.jpg

jimp
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor

Post by jimp »

You could try shining a spotlight through the stamp & cover. It may show the watermark.

TheCoverCollector
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor

Thanks, jimp, for the suggestion. I gave it a try, but couldn't make out any distinctive watermark. Watermarks are one of my stamp collecting nemesis and Mexican ones are difficult to see under the best conditions.

TCC

jimp
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor

Post by jimp »

Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't !!!!

PostmasterGS
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor
Collecting Areas: German, Colonies, & Territories, 1872-1945
United States of America

Post by PostmasterGS »

If you have a flatbed scanner that will scan photo negatives, it's sometimes possible see watermarks via a negative scan. Like this:

The fact that it's on cover complicates things, but this method will sometimes work through thicker items, like this postal stationery card.

Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - German, Colonies, & Territories, 1872-1945

TheCoverCollector
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor

Thanks, Postmaster, but I don't think my scanner will produce a negative. It is one of the most inexpensive purchased from WalMart a few years back.

TCC

TheCoverCollector
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor

A recent addition to my Mexican advertising covers featuring a color corner cachet from Pluma y Lapiz, a pen and pencil shop in Merida, what we might call a stationery store. As my others, not much philatelic value, but collected for the colorful advertising. Also as before, the cancel is smudged and difficult to determine a posting date. A previous owner has penciled 11/20/53 to the lower right of the stamp. 1953 looks correct, but the month and day are iffy.

TCC
b428.jpg

TheCoverCollector
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor

This cover could go in my Chickens on Covers collection, but it is an illustrated advertising cover from the the Diario de la Manana, a newspaper in Chihuahua, Chihuahua, Mexico, and is more appropriate in my Mexican commercial covers album. As usual, the postmark is not clear, but it looks like it was posted the 6th of February, 1926. The stamp is Sc. 639, minimum catalog value.

TCC
b503.jpg

TheCoverCollector
Level 3 Contributor
Level 3 Contributor

A couple more illustrated advertising covers out of Mexico.

The first advertises a tourist court in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico, with the date illegible due to the usual smudged postmark. The stamp, however, is Sc. 721, the 10 cents stamp issued to publicize the Industrial Census of 1935, so I estimate the date of the over as the late 1930s. The Regina Counts probably catered to winter residents who went south for warmer climates during the 1930s.
b526.jpg
The second is an airmail registered cover from Nitrocel in Mexico City. There is a Nitrocel Technologies still in Mexico, but it does not appear related. The advertising on this cover looks more like this company manufactured chemical products or maybe fertilizer. Registered cancels on the reverse indicate the cover was mailed October 24, 1945.

TCC
b527.jpg