jim-fairfield
Level 1 Contributor
Level 1 Contributor
Collecting Areas: Stamps of France and the U.S. - pre-1940 only
United States of America

1c Type Blanc - Scott 109 - Second Page

Post by jim-fairfield »

Hello again,
Here is another page from my France collection. It is the second page I have for Scott 109, the 1c Type Blanc, or what I am calling 1c issues of the Liberty, Equality, Fraternity Series. The two pages I now have up show the color difference between two basic varieties of the 1c stamp of this series; these are represented in the Maury catalogue as No. 107 (the grey varieties) and No. 107A (the slate varieties, which are on this page). Each of these color groups have their own types -- see the illustration below.
Note that Scott does not indicate any slate varieties for this stamp.
The upper illustration and text below represent this second page.
I also plan to upload my introduction to the Liberty, Equality, Fraternity Series (I refer to this introduction below).
107A IA.jpg
Issue Date / Withdrawal Date. No. 107A IA, December 1919 / December 1923; No. 107A IB, December 1919 / December 1926; No. 107A II, November 17, 1926 / December 1933.
Design and Color. Primary subject: Allegory of Liberty, Equality, Fraternity. For general information on the design of this series, see the article entitled “The Liberty, Equality, Fraternity Series” in this album. For detailed information on the design types, see the Maury Catalogue. The difference between the varieties of No. 107A shown above and those of No. 107, which were issued several years earlier, is not a matter of design, but color: Nos. 107A IA, 107A IB, and 107A II are always some shade of slate, while Nos. 107 IA and 107 IB are always some shade of grey. The dates of first issue for the grey varieties range from 1900 through 1901, and you may find them on an earlier page with the Liberty, Equality, Fraternity Subseries of 1900-1907.
Production. Designed by Joseph Blanc. Engraved by Emile Thomas. Printed by the Government printing works in Paris; by typography – flat plate from 1919 to 1926 and rotary press from November 17, 1926 to February 26, 1932; unwatermarked; perforated 14 by 13 1/2.
Correlation between Maury and Scott Numbers. Maury 107A IA, 107A IB, and 107A II = Scott 109.
Jim Shead - Fairfield, Iowa

spain_1850
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor

Post by spain_1850 »

These are great posts. Thank you for adding them. As I mentioned earlier I intend to expand my page to include more shade varieties, not only for the 1c but for all the values. For now, I have all of mine on 1 page laid out very simply. I would like to share my page, but I wasn't sure which topic to put it in so I just picked this one.
france25.jpg
Richard
APS #194419

jim-fairfield
Level 1 Contributor
Level 1 Contributor
United States of America

Post by jim-fairfield »

Hi Richard,
Very nice set of these. I really like the variety of shades of color--very distinct.
Thank you for posting these.
By the way, I will be making soon a new posting on identifying the 5c denomination of these, which can be a bear for me.

paladin
Canada

Post by paladin »

Wanting to trade Canada for France, I have most modern mint Canada and only missing a few early France
but could use quite a few recent France if you have that.
Thanks

Ron

jim-fairfield
Level 1 Contributor
Level 1 Contributor
United States of America

Post by jim-fairfield »

Hi Ron,
Right now, I am only collecting pre-1940 France. Since I don't have any modern France, I don't think I would be able to help you. But if you ever have any pre-1940 France you want to trade for other pre-1940 France, then we could check in with each other.
Good luck with finding some stamps you'd like.
All the best,
Jim