Welcome to the Internet's newest forum for discussing all things philatelic!

Chalk surfaced paper.

jimp
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor

Chalk surfaced paper.

Post by jimp »

I wonder if anyone has any means of simply identifying chalk surfaced paper on stamps without damaging stamps.
What method do you use that is failsafe ?

guyana1230
Level 6 Contributor
Level 6 Contributor
Answers: 1
Collecting Areas: Guyana/Br. Guiana – mint, used, FDC, envelopes, fiscals in fact anything.

Israel – mint, used with and without tabs and FDC.

Mint and used from all British/Ex-British Caribbean including Belize.

Mint and used from Dutch Caribbean (Aruba etc).

Stamps with German Shepherds, illegal stamps, various cinderella issues esp Boys Town and similar.
Great Britain

Post by guyana1230 »

Must admit I don't bother with chalk surfaced paper

jimp
Level 2 Contributor
Level 2 Contributor

Post by jimp »

guyana1230 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 17:35
This can make a huge difference in completing a set, and also the value of the stamps.
Do you not bother with it because you do not know how to identify chalky paper ?
I have been stamp collecting for a long time, and have not yet come across a reliable way of identifying chalky paper.

I am currently concentrating on my Edward 7th GB stamps, which include many chalkies. I am looking for a quick and easy way of i.d'ing them.

guyana1230
Level 6 Contributor
Level 6 Contributor
Answers: 1
Collecting Areas: Guyana/Br. Guiana – mint, used, FDC, envelopes, fiscals in fact anything.

Israel – mint, used with and without tabs and FDC.

Mint and used from all British/Ex-British Caribbean including Belize.

Mint and used from Dutch Caribbean (Aruba etc).

Stamps with German Shepherds, illegal stamps, various cinderella issues esp Boys Town and similar.
Great Britain

Post by guyana1230 »

Have been collecting for 54 years now, consider myself a collector not a philatelist as my equipment consist of black plastic tray for watermarks, tweezers, hinges, mounts and home made pages. I really have no interest in value at all, it is the seeking out I enjoy, I know I have no chance of ever getting a full collection but who cares. Years ago I read up on ways to identify chalky paper but none were reliable as far as I could tell so decided to not bother, can't even remember what they were now.

jmh67
Collecting Areas: Definitives
Germany
Ireland
Czechoslovakia
whatever else strikes my fancy

Post by jmh67 »

Silver leaves marks on chalked paper. It is not quite "undamaging", but fairly reliable. Don't press too much - light marks can often be wiped off.

Other than that, chalked paper usually has a very smooth surface (which is the purpose of chalking after all). For comparison purposes, the Austrian definitve issue of 1908 may be used. 1908 printings are on chalked paper, 1913 printings on ordinary paper.

jean121

Post by jean121 »

Chalky paper is a philatelic term for a type of paper coated with a chalky solution for security purposes. The postmark cannot be removed without damaging the surface of the stamp thus discouraging erasure of cancellations and fraudulent reuse of stamps.
GBwhatsapp

lordgk

Post by lordgk »

Myles Glazer published articles which state that the silver test reaction is nothing whatsoever to do with chalk in the surfacing of the paper. John Hereford published a response to this in Geosix, FM Whatsapp Downloadholding that the mark left by the silver test is actually caused by tarnish and that the chalk which is reacting with the tarnish is in the form of chalk powder residue on the surface of the stamp, rather than chalk present in the coating. These excellent contributions to the debate approach the problem from a scientific viewpoint; we need to consider where this leaves the collector, dealer and catalogue-editor!

Stephen21
India

Post by Stephen21 »

If you tilt the stamp at a very steep angle to a light source, chalk surfaced papers often appear shiny compared with the non chalky papers. Master Royale Infinity Download
I am not sure if this works in all cases, but the the British issues ( Victoria, Edward VII, George V) in the early 20th century this works well. mod apk download

Aftab88

Post by Aftab88 »

Wonderme wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 09:10
Well, chalk surface paper doesn't bother me at all.
Whatsapp Plus apk
Well same thing hereNulls Brawl APK. I don't see why people find it annoying.

Akkila
India

Post by Akkila »

Ale!!!! I got the notification that @WondermeGBWhatsApp APK quoted me in this thread, but now i'm not seeing his message.

Assassin125

Post by Assassin125 »

jimp wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 18:11
guyana1230 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 17:35
This can make a huge difference in completing a set, and also the value of the stamps.
Do you not bother with it because you do not know how to identify chalky paper ?
I have been stamp collecting for a long time, and have not yet come across a reliable way of identifying chalky paper.

I am currently concentrating on my Edward 7th GB stamps, which include many chalkies. I am looking for a quick and easy way of i.d'ing them.
I completely agree with you.